Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Social Media Break

For the last couple months, I've had the itch to leave Facebook again.  I think when you've left FB before and have experienced the advantages of having a break from social media, you will never forget the clarity & freedom that comes & will CRAVE to have that back!

Some of the things I loved most about my previous 6 month break from social media:

1. I heard 62.35% of what Ivan said instead of 20.55%
2. We communicated more during car rides, at home & restaurants since I wasn't glued to my phone
3. I took time to pause, reflect, & plan each morning & night instead of beginning and ending each day with social media newsfeeds

 
4. I was forced to be more creative when boredom hit
5. I saw those around me while waiting in line at the grocery store or bank, dentist or Dr appointments,  I said hello instead of using my phone as an escape from awkward interactions

6. I felt FREE, free from receiving or passing judgment, free from those annoying addictive social media habits, free from the many facades on social media, free to just enjoy a moment-to not feel pressure to capture a picture as proof of the great things I'd experienced, free to be more present in my life and in the lives of those around me
7. I felt more AWARE-aware of myself and those around me
8. I looked up, not sideways- looked up towards God's opinion instead of others' opinions
9. I began to enjoy the season of life I'm in, instead of trying to keep up with the Joneses on social media
10. I realized there are MANY good ways to live and experience a fulfilling and happy life, many of which are not portrayed on social media
11. I saw my goals, values, and priorities CLEARLY, simply

So why did I ever come back?  On my immediate family's side, I have 15 siblings, 9 bro/sis in-laws, 38? nieces and nephews. On my husband's side, he has 13 siblings, 10 bro/sis in-laws, 41? nieces and nephews.  Keeping up with family is much easier/more convenient to do on social media.  This time around, I'd like to make a habit of calling, using Skype more, & driving to visit them.

I also felt like FB provided a quick & easy way to have my bucket filled. link to bucketfill-osophy Some days I just wanted/needed to hear a compliment from someone other than my husband.  I've noticed it's easier to share a compliment on a picture or post than it is to voice a compliment in person. Wish I didn't feel this need...but I'm human and I'm still learning and growing.

I don't think social media is the enemy.  I do think some of us are better managers of our time spent on social media than others.  For me, it's harder to experience the advantages I listed WHILE participating in social media.  Ideally, I'd like this "break" to be indefinite, but we shall see! 

I will continue to blog, so you can find my latest happenings here!

No comments:

Post a Comment